Sunday 5 February 2012

Hybrid

So someone on AH started a thread named Versatility on BLU in VW on BLU forum. Although the title says about versatility, the thread actually ended up as BLU being a viable DD or not.

Then the entire thread turned into Prothescar claiming BLU is top tier DD in VW, right below WAR but better than MNK, and BLU should go all out DD instead of sit back and proc.

Minjo made an interesting comment in the dicussion:

"BLU isn't versatile. In fact, it's become extremely useful because it's drifted so far from versatility. It went from a hybrid melee-spellcaster that was fairly useless for everything to a very respectable melee job that hardly ever touches the spell list outside of proc situations."


IMO, that actually sum up the situation of any job that wants to fit in end game.

Versatility shines in lowman, but real large scale EG event there aren't much use for hybrids.

DNC, PUP, SCH, BLU, RDM, all those are jobs are hybrid, and not really considered main stream EG job. RDM used to dominate, but not anymore, when it's unique aspect is replaced or not irrelevant. NIN was considered hybrid, but it wasn't revived until Abyssea comes and it's dmg output increased, plus proc and how it's lowman/solo friendly. In fact if there isn't proc I'm going to put my money on the table that you won't see NIN in VW at all.

It seems that hybrid job without main focus just doesn't fit all that into large scale event in this game.

If BLU really become "useful" because it's dmg increase and more DD focus, it will somewhat kill the job for me, since most of the fun I get from playing BLU is lowman.......duo, solo, make use of it's versatility. For me BLU is always a lowman job while COR being my EG job, since lv 75.

I guess in a way, I'm not ready to accept the era of BLU playing all out offensively like a MNK DRK etc.

On the other hand that also means certain job is only useful if one aspect shines.

I have to admit, I'm worry about after save TP nerf COR will go back to the era of "nice to have, but not must have" weak job, due to lack of main focus as a hybrid job, that I may as well just retire it again and focus on DD BLU if I need dmg.

At this point of time, I'd say COR in VW is the golden era of COR, that only once exist long time ago in pink bird merit pt(which isn't EG).  Both as a buffer as a DD.

In a DD zerg pt with other melees, I usually parse around 7%~24% in VW alliance. I admit I can't beat good/elite tier melees and RNGs, but average empy WAR/shoha SAM/DRK/relic bow RNG that doesn't know what they're doing, I can win pretty easily.

In B.rex pt, it's anywhere between 20%~39% (highest record), which is slightly higher due to it's weak against magic.

Although still not a top tier DD, I'd still consider it a "DD" job atm, and it's dmg is somewhat relevant.

Compare with 75 era, COR dmg output in an alliance is about 1%~3%. This is based on Einherjar parse with Sinister. Tigerfury, the best COR I know of at 75 and a player I learned a lot about this job from, barely break 5% in entire alliance, and he was doing at least more dmg than a THF.

COR has a bit higher output in pink bird merit pt due to birds weak against piercing, plus they have lower evasion. Therefore it has somewhat relevant output in pink bird pt. But in real 75 EG event like Einherjar it hardly make a difference......weak acc, low combat skill, it's such a killer for anyone who wants to play offensively.

In terms of support, DD buff it's hardly as game breaking as BRD double march. Chaos is good, however fighters won't cut it compare with march.

In fact even chaos is questionable on T3.....Marquiss's parse shows only 100 dmg increase with chaos on Qilin.

That made the job a hybrid, with 2 different aspect, but none of the aspect makes a huge difference.

At this point of time, buff of this job makes bigger difference than 75 era fighter, save TP is so powerful that SE actually wanted to nerf it. It's dmg is also a lot more relevant than 75.....I parsed anywhere from  No.4~No.1 with other melees and RNGs depending on situation, this never happened at 75.

I used to duo/trio dyna on BLU, after I lv COR to 99 and learned Misers I started to duo/trio on COR only. My COR's dmg certainly beats my BLU atm(since my BLU gimp anyways), and it's TP buff actually benefits other pt member greatly, that I had way better result and killing speed on COR than BLU. In fact I ended up using COR for everything including lowman ZNM just because it's dmg, plus dmg added to pt member, easily made it worth while. This never happen in my whole life, after 2.5 years of play this job and main it.

After save TP nerf I expect the dmg of this job will drop a lot being WS spike dmg job and fairly weak and slow during TP phrase, everyone will drop dmg, but COR will drop more than every other DD. Beating up average melees on parse probably not gonna happen anymore. It will go back to the dark era of dmg output not being relevant again.

Long time ago I already stated that unless hybrid has one aspect that's strong enough to make a game changing difference, it will never get a place. DNC is a pretty good DD even outside of abby, but it never get invited as a DD in VW. So does SCH and PUP, they never got invite as a nuker, or DD, or healer. RDM and BLU only got invited to VW as a proc whore that's it.

And that's probably why those BLU mains tried so hard to made BLU into a DD focused job, to make it have a relevant spot in EG.

I have to admit, after I revived COR for VW, I enjoyed the job a lot, for 1.5 months. I never had a job that can WS this much, and kill this fast with a pt. I never had the luxury of  reaching on top of the parse in EG and epeen this much in my whole life. My buffs never made such a noticeable difference. Misers roll, 2 hit WS back to back, self skill chain with double QD and misers in dyna, spam waltz 3 like no tomorrow and never die.........I never seen so many CORs on the street, with everyone and their mother lving it. And I'm happy, I was quite lonely in this game to play a least played job in this game, but VW made it bandwagon, now I have a lot more companions, and more ppl to talk about the job.

Now it's all like a dream in the past.

Except, this dream is so short, sweet and short.

After I tasted sweet dream, I'm unable to go back again.

I remember ppl always jelly if I somehow top the parse, or tried to deal decent dmg.

At lv 75 one RNG told me I'm a gambler, not a DD.

In VW era Returner told me the same, says something like it isn't fair for a buffer to do this much dmg.

For many ppl, COR doing DD tier dmg is just wrong and needs to be fixed.

Now the fix is here, by next update I'm going to put my money on the table that an elite tier BRD/DNC singing march x2 and swinging Mandau spamming Exe duoing with a THF/DNC will kill way faster than elite tier COR/DNC using w/e DD roll it has, swinging Qilin dagger spamming WF/last stand duoing with a THF.

So what's the point to even bring the job to dyna, nyzul, salvage etc? Except doing attack buff whore in Legion and VW, so DRK WAR RNG can epeen more.

I guess time to continue to finish Almace for my BLU, and just screw COR for now, so I will have a job that doesn't gimp on dmg and able to kill fast. Once again, I feel all my effort on gear grind is wasted.....all this years I tried to prove that COR can DD too, and able to excel in every event every aspect, only to have SE take it away and make it impossible again.

Maybe I picked the wrong job to begin with, for many reason I feel I will have a happier life if I picked BRD as my main 2.5 years ago.










2 comments:

  1. Back before i quit i met a blue mage in ragnarok whose sole focus was to show that he was the best blue mage out there. At that time bird parties only wanted samurais and warriors and the occasional good dragoon, but this guy tried really hard to push that limit and be as good, if not better than most samurais. I was a red mage at that time and parsed and he did GREAT. Didnt beat the top geared but definitely opened my eyes and made me think how even jobs that arent the best at a certain category can utilize their tools to compensate in another way.

    I dont play FFXI but i do have friends who play and still keep up with updates, but these underplayed jobs have definitely gained some more ground and become much more respectable.

    On the topic of corsairs, i do believe that no matter what nerf misers roll gets, corsairs will still have advantages in another department.
    A quote from that blue mage friend of mine is "why be best at one thing? do it all, support sleep dd cure headbutt. the sum of all the things a blue mage can do is much more important than parsing the highest." and finally "parsing shouldnt be about who is the best damage dealer, it should be about how you can improve yourself to be a better damage dealer"

    ReplyDelete
  2. The biggest problem of doing all is, many EG event tend to want "the best" at one aspect. That's why RDM SCH all died as a healer, only WHM stands.

    I do agree that parsing should be about how to improve though. Considering many things....lags/death/support will affect parse result. But relic/empy DD who parsed 2%~5% in VW is still pretty ridiculous IMO.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.