Monday 30 August 2010

Math and FFXI

Recently I've been reading posts on http://robonosto.blogspot.com, which is a blog full of math caculations ('_'b), and there are 2 articles about COR that seems interesting.
(Then again, I'm pretty much only interested in COR stuff and nothing else \o/)


When to use snake eye?


Fighter's roll versus Samurai roll

Basically, I'm very, very, VERY bad at math, period. I have problem calculating even the most basic math formulas. Therefore I'm very happy and thankful that someone else is doing the work and calculating all the stuff, so I can use it as future references when playing FFXI.....wait.

Can we really play FFXI effectively using math calculations?

Are there really a way to calculate the most effective way to use snake eye on certain roll? The article used EXP roll, what about other rolls? Can they be calculated?(P.S using EXP roll 75+ is not practical because ppl now mostly EXP in Abyssea) What if you EXP on different mobs? For other rolls, what if it's a COR with only 1/5 SE merit in 30 min Einherjar(2 charges total)? Or COR with 5/5 SE merit? That makes a difference for a 30 min event? Which way is more effective in a 30 min event, using SE on a No.4 DRK roll? Or wait until a No.11 for 10 min duration? What about zerging situations? What if the time is running out and I can't afford another bust? What if time is running out and if I don't land a No.11 we won't clear? What if I just fking need 2 buffs and can not afford to bust? What if I choose to bust and reroll ASAP? What if it's a LS lacking healing power facing mobs with AoE and WHMs running out of MP? Should I save SE for MP rolls instead? Does PR recast-, fold merit and ASA pants with PR recast- makes a difference? Fighters roll really more effective than Samurai roll? For other jobs? What if mobs weak against 1 hit WS or magical WS popped after you roll? Err, does "most effective way" or "most optimal way" of using Snake eye even exist, even if the math calculations can be done? What about the player difference, pt setup difference and situation difference? Can they all be calculated?


I used to search for the most optimal gear set and the most effective play style for jobs I'm playing from forums/wiki/copy and paste sets/math done by others. Like a good student studying from textbook, looking for "correct" answers. Then I was outperformed by players not using the most optimal gear set or "correct" ways to play. Apparently, there isn't really a "correct" way of playing this game, as experience, player skills and pt organizations determine the outcome of the events most of the time.

Yes, I hope I can be lazy, just read info online, follow a guide and I can play FFXI in the most effective way, like a pro. Too bad it's not the only thing that's affecting the player performance in this game. Math may still be useful, as a reference, which may leads to good result, but it doesn't beat individual differences really.

2 comments:

  1. It would be better if most players think like you do.

    Sometimes I blab about things to contradict "conventional wisdom," like "how to use Snake Eye," but I hope people like you recognize that I gave a very specific example.

    For COR roll, the difference between 3x Snake Eye and 2x Snake Eye is very small, which I didn't emphasize in the main post, and you're right that COR roll is much less relevant now that we have Abyssea EXP (I wrote that a few days after Abyssea came out). For other rolls, it depends on the actual bonuses.

    Also, even so I usually present things from the perspective of "the long run" or a "very long period of time," which might make sense for EXP parties but not for timed events where you need damage "right now." So Fighter's Roll is probably better if you're doing EXP, but Samurai Roll might be preferred if you want to spam WS. My main point showing that Fighter's Roll can be better than Samurai Roll (for melee) was to show why Fighter's Roll is underrated and Samurai Roll overrated, not that people should always use Fighter's Roll instead.

    I hold the view that results of any analysis are supposed to help people make decisions, not substitute for decision-making and personal judgment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As another "mathy" person, I can say that the biggest trap most people fall into when dealing with mathematical analysis of the game is failing to take things in context. All too-many people hold onto math analysis as if they were gospel and forget that the analysis usually pertains to a specific set of circumstances.

    That is understandable, I suppose, since most people learn math through school, being taught that there is a single, gospel solution to every problem, when reality is far different, and much more fluid.

    At the end of the day, mathematics is a tool, and its usefulness ultimately depends on how well you use it. To echo Robonosto, the results we get from mathematical analysis are supposed to help decision-making, not substitute for.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.