Monday 29 August 2011

Practice practice





There's one player on SE forum here

who's been doing signature for other player's character. I want one of the signature as well, but his waiting list is ass long ;(

Since I'm impatient to wait, perhaps I should try it myself.

I'm obviously not as pro as him. I'm never good at making character poses, and I SUCK BALLS at doing coloring. If I color it'll look weird and color never match. But practice makes perfect, so practice practice time!

Step 1.

Since I can't draw properly without looking at something, I need source images.

Using my BLU idle gear. (Once again, I'm a blue mage at heart, and feel most comfortable in BLU gears, plus BLU gear looks cooler, so I only want to draw my char as a BLU)




Step 2.

Sketch it and scan it.

I try to capture the feeling of loneliness of being an Immortal by adding a background, not sure if I got the essence of it.




Step 3.

Adjust the color, making it darker and blueish.... once again, I'm not good at coloring stuff, so if I do any sorts of fan art, I usually just scan and adjust the color ._.

My world is colorless ._.




Step 4.

Then I decided to try to color it this time, looks more pro with colors ._.

This time I tried my newly learned color overlay technic, it actually worked pretty well if I didn't do this on a pencil sketch, all the pencil line is making it look weird kinda. But at least with this technic, it's easier to control the colors and overall feeling. Although my color blindness still makes the purple hands/feet not looking purple at all.

After adding colors, added a bit of light.




Step 4.

A bunch of adjustments and done!






I didn't really make it into a signature, since I'm kinda embarrassed to use it and I'm not pro enough ._. Hopefully in 3 years I will be confident enough to use my own signature on the forum.

4 comments:

  1. A bit of side story of step 3 and 4.

    Step 3 pic has a bit of blueish light. When I did it I intended to have blueish light in the picture, to represent a sense of loneliness and despair. Then before I upload I was adjusting the file in windows picture editor, and it changed the light into yellowish light automatically, something like step 4.

    It was pretty interesting that the story in the picture changed after the color of the light changed. Step 3 picture has a sense of despair, it tells a story of a lonely blue mage that has no hope and destined to be alone forever. Step 4 picture tells a story of a blue mage that's also in despair, but there still a chance to change her fate. Step 3 is utter darkness, while step 4 still has a bit of hope.

    In the end I decided to upload the version with yellow light instead of blue light, because I believe all form of art should have the bright side in it. Having that "bright side" in a piece of art work is what makes a piece of work master piece. A master piece art work should be inspiring, and having the bright side in it is what makes it shine and stand out.

    And pretty interesting that one button and color chage in windows picture editor, actually changed the fate of a character 8D

    Color is truly something magical, I hope I can master it, one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too many grammar error in above comment, but I'm too lazy to delete and edit it, so please bear with my poor English grammar/spelling ;<

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like that you're sharing your progress with everyone, everywhere :)

    I had a talent for drawing but never tried to develop it, not even in amateur way. I still draw a lot of faces while studying, almost spontaneously, so I guess the love of it will never die in me, or that I can't just let my hand stay still :P

    It's gonna be interesting and exciting to watch how your skills will develop over the days/months/years, and perhaps I could learn from your experience, and it might even encourage me to take my skills a bit further some day.

    So, definitely, keep them coming! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. That one isn't really a good example XD, cuz I'm not pro enough to use a pencil and make it look good on a computer. It does have a handmade feel and unique style though.

    I've been trying to do the sketch with a tablet instead of pencil recently, and worked much better.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.