Saturday 21 May 2011

Lest we Forget

As you can see from the title, this post has minor spoilers of WoTG storyline.

After months of doing WoTG with my static, WoTG cleared finally!


Out of all the expansion stories in FFXI, WoTG is, IMO, the best.

Zilart is a good story that tells a bit more background story about FFXI. But it lacks interesting character and memorable scenes. CoP has a longer storyline, and I know some ppl like the ending, but there are just way too many character and subplot so it's not strong enough. ToAU has a stronger theme and very memorable characters, but in the end the storyline got a bit cliche.
3 mini expansion and Abyssea hardly has any story at all.

Out of all the expansions, WoTG story is the best. It has memorable characters(although I like ToAU characters a bit more), and story is not as cliche and predictable as ToAU. It has a theme about time travelling, choices we make, and aiming for brighter future. Not to mention WoTG CS quality higher than previous expansions.

Whenever I completed a FFXI storyline, there's always a sense of satisfaction, especially when I cleared with a static. I get to experience the traditional FF experience, travelling with a group of companion, defeat the final boss, and save the world.

In theory, I should have a great sense of satisfaction when I completed WoTG no? It has better story and CS than other expansions, with a strong theme of time travelling and working for a brighter future. I always have a sense of satisfaction when I finished an expansion story, not just because I got something done in FFXI, but also because of the story.

So why I feel such emptiness after WoTG done? Am I finally play FFXI to a point that I no longer feel anything about it?

Possibility No.1:
When I cleared previous expansions: ZM/CoP/ToAU/add-ons, I cleared with a static. If I'm in a static, that means everyone needs clear as well. So when we cleared together, there's a sense "getting things done with companion together". The pt were under same emotions, happy, satisfied, for finally clearing the BC. We got to watch the same CS together, and often sharing thoughts in /p chat while watching the CS. This kind of emotion linked together, to create a sense of achievement that I can't get in other ways in FFXI. That's why I always feel the sense of achievement of finishing a storyline in FFXI is different from getting certain gears. I still remember the day my static finally cleared ToAU and add-ons, I remember everything my pt member said, and who participated for all those final boss fight. But I can't remember much about getting certain uber gears. I can't remember who was in my pt when I got my AF2s, or Homam, or w legs. When I cleared a BC with my static, everyone is happy and I can feel their emotion as well from /p chat. When I got a gear, all I can see in /p chat is just "Congratulations". I was happy, but other ppl probably not as happy as I was. Especially if they want the same gear.

When I cleared WoTG final boss, my static cleared the final boss 2 days ahead of me. Although they headed back and helped me clear again, our emotion was no longer the same. Same thing happened when I help friends clear their mission BC, they're all "WHOOHOO" when finally cleared, while I just said "Congratulations" and warped back to Jeuno and disbanded. I guess not be able to clear WoTG with my static just ruined the experience.

Possibility No.2:
I blame Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica ;<

Yeah I've been pretty much recommending this anime everywhere like a sales person, on Cynosure forum via PM, and on my facebook, now on my blog =D.

I finished this anime one day before I finished WoTG story, and I was so shocked after finishing the anime, so I no longer feeling anything after watching every other story or other videos I've seen after finishing the anime. I watched Code Geass R2, and Lady Gaga Judas music video, finished WoTG, and none of them are strong enough visually or in terms of story telling to make me feel shocked again, they all taste nothing.

The story of this anime has similar theme as WoTG, about time travel, choices, future etc. But it's way more shocking and cruel. In WoTG the player fight for a brighter future, but does brighter future really exist? Yes we beat the game, got the happy ending, happy ever after. But Madoka challenged the concept of hope and future, telling us that the world isn't as shiny and beautiful as it seems. And after finishing that anime, I finished WoTG, I no longer feel anything, with it's shallow way to extinguish "good" and "bad" future.

The story of WoTG is just not quite there. It's better than ZM/CoP(some ppl disagree, but IMO the story structure of CoP sucked)/ToAU, but it's still not quite there. It does not deliver the experience I've been looking for.

In the end, out of all the expansion experience, CoP wins still. WoTG does have better CS, well written dialogue, overall better story structure. But it does not deliver the unique experience that CoP once has.


Regardless what I said about WoTG......



Moonshade regain earring obtained!
With this earring, I should be able to reach /SAM 4 hit even without atma and regain roll, and able to /ra TP without Rajas or rose strap if I'm not subbing SAM. Now I'm almost done with perfect gear set in my mind for /ra TP. Just need Skadi legs and augmented w hands.

Death Penalty/Novio earring/Zelus Tiara(or Voidwatch NM head/body set)/Skadi legs/Augmented w hands/5 more elemental Obi/AF2 belt/another stat+7 ring, a few more gears until I have capped DD gear on this job, then next update would come, SE gonna release more gear, and I pay more $$ for the goal(more like a dream) to reach perfect DD gear set, vicious circle. ;<

Oh why I mentioned capped "DD" gear? Because I don't really plan on working on stuff like COR MDT- or COR PDT- set atm, lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.