Saturday 14 April 2012

Status obsession

A few weeks ago I saw a CoP VW T1 /shout, I joined it on BLU. Although I already know one of the CoP VW T1(Fjalar) is hard and expected a potential wipe at it, I didn't expect the pt to wipe at other easier NMs, but it did. I immediately found what was the problem-just like how majority of PUG pt wipe, this pt had bad setup(DDs not getting BRD+COR buffs) and killing too slow.

However when I told the pt lead about pt killing too slow, leader immediately replied
"But all those DDs are relic/empy DDs!"

Another time when I see someone making T1 WG VW /shout, he asked for "lv 90 empy/95 relic DD only"

As if relic/empy DD automatically equal to good output, that every factor can be ignored.

I offered to remake the pt, dragged some of the better DDs I know of, and made a proper DD pt. This NM ended up extremely easy.

I found even after relic/empy became easier, it still hold some sort of god like status.....if your DD have relic/empy, you're good DDs, or else you're going to job change. Relic/empy is just like a degree, when the recruiter don't know anything about those applying for the position, relic/empy is the only thing they look at.

I guess that probably placed myself to "lower status tier" in player base. Much like a person with no degree, I have no relic/Mythic, and the only empy I have is the easiest one that everyone already have. If I'm an elitist EGLS leader, want to make a LS with best players, I'm probably not going to invite myself(hmmm sounds weird in this way kinda w) since Arma COR is everywhere on the street and BLU without strong DD build doesn't offer anything worth putting on the table.

And that's the blind spot created by status obsession.

IMO, if the recruiter have no idea how good the DD is when making /shout pt, the best way is not ask whether they have empy/relic or not. The best way is to ask "what is your TP/WS set and your atmacite?"

Earlier today I tried my first provenance run, one of the member complained about how many relic/empy DD do very bad dmg, especially one of the empy DD in the alliance who was pretty notorious.

I can only reply, not everyone care about their job that much to have good performance. Some ppl only do empy/relic well, for empy/relic, but doesn't have the elitist attitude to have the best performance. (note: elitist attitude =/= retard shitty attitude, elitists want to be the best, shitty retards flames everyone else when they see ppl idle in perle)

Of course, the run ended in failure(although as a lead I should take the blame as well, for not baby-sitting enough and not blabbering enough to make everyone do it right due to my inexperience for Provenance run). But this got me started thinking, when I make /shout pt, maybe I should ask for TP/WS set instead of relic/empy or not? Not to mention some of the empy, especially lv85 one doesn't worth shit at all.

One of the example is, during crystal dragon fight, our ally have 2 CORs, both lv 90 Arma. I managed to parse 2nd and 20% on COR, only behind a Rag DRK, plus double No.11 for 3 runs and 1 No.11+lucky No. for 1 run(I'm able to double 11 or lucky number in VW before pop nearly 100% now), while his COR only parsed 4%, didn't do chain No.11 to double 11 everyone as well. Despite both weapons are the same and same level, the performance is just very different.

Now I remember Returner once told me how much he hates his OAT GS because it has no status compare with relic/empy, despite it's stronger than 90 version Cala and apoc.

I guess time to get rid of status obsession. Maybe time to ask other questions besides relic/empy when recruiting for VW pt.

And I guess time to free myself from this status obsession mentality. I have to admit, doing Arma 99, Death Penalty and Almace is more or less because of status obsession. Although Almace is more because it's downright useful, Arma 99+DP is certainly because of it's status.

Obsession, obsession. It never ends, no? But who doesn't play an MMO for it?





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.