Sunday 20 March 2011

My FFXI retrospective- Top 10 (1)

I started this game on April 2009, so it's about to be 2 years of playing. I certainly haven't play as long as many other veteran players out there. But long enough to witness quite a lot of change. If those players played for 8 years are 80 years old old man/woman, then I guess I'm 20 years old kid that about to enter the adult stage, and started to miss the childhood.


Anyways, 10 events in FFXI I had experienced, and now they no longer exist, and probably won't come back ever again.


No.10 Die-namis

Well I have to say I hate dyna, one of my least favorite event in this game. It's long, and boring. Most important of all we lose a lot of EXP in there with lots of death(at least for average dyna LS death happens often). On the same time I also ended up doing this boring event for the longest time for AF2 gears.

I joined a Dyna LS AncientTech(I think that's the name, don't remember :/) after my first job Blue mage ding 63, and did my first dyna run at BLU 69 or something. It was my first endgame event. I did dyna with them a couple of times until one day they disband and leader changed server. I joined another one (I really forgot the name) and soon they disband too. So I ended up joined SandsOfTime, and finally got my first AF2 piece with them, a Commodore Frac, plus access to dyna-xarc. Then Sylvester dragged me to Dynabus and I ended up stayed in Dynabus for 6 months. I got my COR AF2 and BLU AF2 4/5 in Dynabus, until my school schedule doesn't allow me to do event with Dynabus anymore.

Dynabus is a typical "Leader got all the currency for his relic" LS. I always wanted to do dreamworld dyna, but they mostly stay in Sandy and spam Sandy over and over again for currency. I wanted to complete my COR AF2 and BLU AF2 forever, but I just couldn't, since COR AF2 head never drop in xarc and they never do Dyna windy for BLU AF2 feet I missed. And of course, they rarely do dreamworld. As you can expect, after all the sandy spam and such, leader got his relic weapon happy happy, and LS disband like all the old dyna LS story. Even worse, that's when Empyrean weapon came out and pwn all the relic in it's face. And now with new dyna change in future update relic is probably going to be cheap as trash XD

Stealthkiller nicely invited me to join his Dyna xarc and windy run on Oct, and lucky enough COR hat and BLU feet dropped. I lotted and finally 5/5 on both set. So that's about 1.5 years of doing dyna for 10 pieces of AF2 not including accessory, and obviously countless EXP lose.

Now with lv 90, we no longer die that much in Dyna with higher drop rate. And soon SE is going to made changes to dyna. I guess that old, painful dyna probably won't exist anymore. I wish SE can make change to dreamworld dyna as well, so I can get a chance to finish Dyna-tav or obtain Commodore belt I always wanted.

No, I don't miss die-namis at all. I don't miss all the EXP lose, and sandy spam over over again for years just for points to bid some AF2 gear I don't know when I'll ever obtain.

No.9 Campaign

I started Campaign spam on Feb 2010 starting from lowest rank. I mostly wanted Cobra unit harness for my COR melee TP set. 11 acc, STP+6 and enmity-8 used to be a very good upgrade from SH. Most important of all, it looks SEXYYYYY >:O
Not just the body piece of this set is good, I also wanted legs and feet piece which were decent(although not the best without haste) for melee.

This set requires 255,000 AN, which is a lot. I grind AN none stop for 3~4 months and finally got to highest rank for a harness and leg/feet piece in June. I was really happy when I got the pieces I wanted plus highest campaign rank. I also got enough merit points for 8/8 marksmanship and sword so hmmm it's all good. Then lv 80 update came and SE made new superior and easier to obtain pink Aurore set for melees. My sexy harness set suddenly turned into trash and I ended up having to wear pink q.q

I did Campaign Ops for a couple more months until I 5/5 my Cobra unit harness set. And now the full set are in Porter Moogle since I can't find any use for them. So much time spent on Campaign!

When lv 80 update came Campaign were overcrowded, with many ppl wanted EXP. I miss the time that campaign was still a popular event for ppl that wants EXP and gears. Using Campaign WS or wearing campaign gear 5/5 used to be a good way to show off player achievement in Campaign. Campaign itself isn't that fun, but at least anyone can enter anytime and leave anytime, and gears used to be ok. Now that all campaign gears except rose strap and magic def set are trash, and you get faster EXP in abyssea, campaign is completely dead. SE said they're gonna revive it, so I'll wait and see.

No.8 Zerging

I don't have a job that's good for zerging, BLU isn't good for zerging as a DD since BRD buffs won't affect physical spells. COR isn't good for zerging without haste and COR isn't as good as BRD for rotation. However, I still like how DDs zerg NMs just because it feels good to see them doing big dmg in short time o.o

I've been trying to get a place in zerging situations as a COR. Bust one roll--> Chaos--> random deal--> fighter--> change pt--> 2hr---> Chaos---> random deal--> fighter means COR can buff at least 2 pt with no delay. Pretty sad that when I mention COR buff rotation to some ppl they laughed and replied "no one use COR for rotation", like it's not even worth a try. Sometimes I just hate how ppl's mind are stuck in one way of player this game ._.

Anyways, zerging is dead now, I probably won't have a chance to try it forever :<

No.7 VNM

When VNM was just out, I didn't know much about it. Then I read about newly released magian weapon and decided to make a
Magnatus for my COR and OAT Antea for my BLU. I finished the VNM trial of Magnatus with a JP /shout pt. But OAT Antea needs T3 VNM items x10, so it was much harder. I ended up joining Apsalar's VNM lowman VNM static in Escaflowne for 10 Ruthven's nail. They actually did small group T3 VNM efficiently, with 2 PLD bounce hate on 2 sides of ramp to avoid straight tank and it's AoE move. I also did my first T4 Yilbegan with them and got to see Serenlycheerful's PLD solo tanked it for 2hr like a pro XD. Ever since that Yilbegan fight I strongly believe PLD is the best tank outside of abyssea, regardless what others say.

I also did T3 VNM and T4 Yilbegan with another big EGLS a couple of times, and sadly they're no where as good as Apsalar's VNM static. Lord Ruthven fight was full of death with 18+ ppl, and Yilbegan fight doesn't even last for more than 5 min with 2 PLD.

Well in the end, I only got one Ruthven's nail and one DEF+10 earring for BLU Cannonball set after all those VNM, didn't get any stat+6 rings, so yeah, Antea/Khanda never complete. Not like it matters though, since FFXI community labelled OAT sword trash and DA or STR sword ended up better for Almace offhand after new Khanda introduced. And with new +7 stat ring and probably +8 or +10 at 99, no one really care about VNM drops anymore. Now people only do T2 VNM for their Empyrean weapon trials, and you can destory T2 with a pt of 6 ppl easily.

No.6 ISNM

Well, ISNM puk used to be my main source of income, what else? XD

Back in the day when money were hard to make, I once lost a Khroma Ore and that actually hurts XD I remember I did my first ISNM run with Sylvester and some peeps in Caelus, and it ended up to be a fail run, which was very surprising considering how easy it was. After that most of the pt I joined had no problem with it, although shit still happened 1~2 times when pt with bad BRD or no BRD. Now ISNM BC fight can be soloed by BLU, but Khroma Ore doesn't worth a shit anymore, only Blizzard IV still worth some money. Considering how hard it is to get 3k IS now I don't bother with ISNM anymore. Kinda miss the days that everyone /shout for ISNM in WG everywhere, looking for 3 DD 1 healer 1 BRD 1 BLM.

1 comment:

  1. Dynabus died because Dynabus sucked. :/ It was coincidental that they managed to get his relic finished.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.