Monday 28 October 2013

1.0 Nostalgia

Got bored and digged out some youtube FFXIV 1.2x video, finally learned why I don't like ARR battle system as much as 1.2x battle system.

ARR battle system feels like a GCD race.....need....to....click...that...button nowwww....or else I lose DPS, on the same time there's a very long GCD AND animation lock that it's not rewarding to use moves. Every time when I clicked 1st move I'm spamming button for next move, only to see it not fire off. OR I'm not focusing 100% and ended up missing that 0.5 sec WS delay DPS cuz I'm 0.5 sec late. And that 0.5 sec is a lot! Because the GCD is long so every 0.5 sec counts.

So the result is, the game feels like an action game, on the same time not as responsive as a real action game. It's awkward.

1.2x battle system is way better, since it's "gain TP and use right move when timer is up", it feels less like an action game, more like a RPG. No need to worry about being 0.5 sec too slow on clicking next move, on the same time you can execute all moves together if you have enough TP so there's no "WHY CAN'T I USE NEXT MOVE NAO" feel. More strategy, less spammy spammy and muscle memory.

/nostalgia glass on

Man, I miss 1.23. Besides worse game engine and the lack of content, the fundamental system in 1.2x was way better than ARR direction D:

1.23 feels like streamlined FFXI with less content, with most of the good things from FFXI and fixed tons of flaws, it just needs more content and it'll be a very good game.

ARR feels like something completely different, more "dodge this, dodge that, can't dodge it? DIEEEEEE", less about setting up gears/organizations and using ability. I blame players bitching about MMORPG "needs skill", those who thinks RPG game "needs skill" should go play FTG.

I enjoyed MNK a lot in 1.23, but ARR battle mechanic kinda killed the job for me. In 1.23 it was fairly fun and rewarding to pull off MNK combos, in ARR I'm currently using same rotation as this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVDqzSBUhKY, and it became a "let's keep every buff/debuff up" race. Whenever boss jumps it just pissed me off due to GL3 wore....basically quit a slap in the face and not very rewarding to play with.

I think ARR battle direction is just to please the post wow era MMORPG players, maybe cuz nobody can tolerate old school "gain TP and use move" system that everyone and their mother only want to use skill after skill, lol.

1 comment:

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.