Monday 19 September 2011

Last day

Last day before version update, last day before I take a break from FFXI.

I put down what I was working on and went home early for assault static. This should be our last run for everyone to reach Captain. So before I take a break I get to witness this little static I made 7 months ago finishes Captain, pretty nice no? Sadly we didn't go since everyone would rather do something else in Dyna and Ein....

I didn't bail you guys, you guys bailed me >:(

Anyways at least I don't have to "went home early for FFXI" for a couple of months, in a way I actually feel relieved. I admit I was a bit pissed that I sacrificed my precious working time(when I'm falling behind the schedule and kinda stressed over it)and went home early for nothing.

Then I go do rest of the stuff I've planned for this Sun....pop NQ Behemoth(no HQ trigger again with TH10 proc), then do an AR run to get Tavera and Crazyalex clear.

I have to admit I was a little bit happier to found out my Salvage leading skill improved a bit.....before I never managed to clear AR while aiming for max alex drop. I always run out of time even after skipping ghost/flayer NM. Last AR clear with all NM dead was lead by Foxx but not me.

Well technically this run isn't 100% perfect, I skipped last BLM rat on top floor because I was afraid I'm gonna run out of time. And in fact we still had plenty of time after boss killed, so that BLM rat could have died. But anyways, over all it's much better than my first AR run(which I had no clue how to deal with BLM rat, and how to farm cell right etc)

After this clear I actually feel that sense of accomplishment that's been missing for ages, it's not getting clear that's giving me a sense of accomplishment, it's more like the feeling of being a parent, guiding a group of ppl through AR and got clear. I was so excited after I finally lead my group did a good run that doesn't fail, and this sense of accomplishment almost made me don't want to take a break...almost.(But I'm pretty determined this time since I realized I will never get stuff done if I don't take a break)

Then I realized I actually enjoy the process of making Mythic, although it takes much longer than empy, but all the events that involved making Mythic are much more fun than empy......Making an empy is a boring process of dragging ppl to come, farming KI, kill NM, farm KI, kill NM again. Most of the ppl won't get any benefit in the process. At least not when I did lv 80(it didn't drop +2 when I did it). In fact I lost a friend in the process of making it.

On the other hand the process of making Mythic, everyone more or less can get some benefit from it. Ppl got Nyzul weapon/armor from Nyzul, ichor and gear from Einherjar(Ein itself is fun too), gears and clear from Salvage, and captain rank from assault. Yes I admit drama occurred once in this little static, but I also got a friend back in the process of doing Salvage. The process of leading a Salvage/Nyzul/Assault group also gave more sense of achievement than farm KI kill NM farm KI kill NM repeat. 7 months ago when I started Nyzul static to farm token, I didn't even know how to lead Nyzul properly(since I got Nyzul clear with someone else leading it), now I can lead a group of players with no Nyzul experience and still won't have problem with lamp floor(which is usually what fails a Nyzul run for groups with no Nyzul experience).

Same with Salvage, my first AR run was pretty bad, but now I more or less learned when to remind ppl do sneak/invis to save time, which mob to skip/avoid while farming cells, get TP before BLM rats etc. I just need better time management >.>

IMO, the most memorable experience in FFXI should't be the moment you get your godly gear, but it should be the time you get stuff done together with your friends/static.
Now that I look back to my past, my most memorable experience in FFXI is probably doing CoP with static, or doing dunes pt killing crabs slowly while chating in very relaxing way. 10 years later if I ever manage to finish this Mythic, the most memorable experience probably won't be how this weapon outperform other weapon too, instead it will probably all about this little static, which contributed quite a lot of progress.

I met a lot of new ppl, I get to play with a lot of different player, made a lot of new friends/old friends while doing Mythic, and that's all that matter.

4 comments:

  1. Leaders usually grow more than the members do within a group situation in order to account for managing that many people, whereas members need only be concerned for themselves.

    There is little accomplishment in the realm of Abyssea for some groups merely because the ability to attain equipment is significantly easier than any that have come before it. On the other hand, the equipment gained through Abyssea is traditionally far superior to most that have come before it as well--at least situationally. The reasoning behind this is that the Abyssea development team for FFXI actually played the damned game and understood each job well.

    It's no easy task to go and organize and manage a group doing constant ToAU content, no matter how simple the actual fights are now that we're level 90 (and almost 95). I'll give you props on that, but thinking that members get more out of ToAU over Abyssea is a statement that cannot be generalized. Sure, there were players that missed out on the content. Sure, there are players who are nostalgic and yearn for the ability to thrash apart old content. Yet realize that there are also a significant number of players who have literally cleared everything there is to clear in ToAU with the exception of 30,000 Alexandrite.

    Guess what mythic farming becomes, inevitably? Going into salvage just for Alexandrite. Your group will likely complete most of their armor needs before even one weapon is half done, unless a significant few purchases have been done by the group for the upgrading member. Oh wait--that's almost identical to how you described Empyreans! Only you can do many, many more Empyreans in the time span utilized by just one Mythic. Not only that, but with the exception of Ryunohige, Terpsichore, and situationally Yagrush--none of the mythics "outperform" their empyrean counterparts at the moment. I only included Terpsichore in that list because what it does for a support Dancer could be plausibly more useful than a significant damage bonus from the empyrean dagger.

    Oh, right. Empyrean farming doesn't benefit those helpi---wait what am I saying? Almost every single empyrean NM drops +2 upgrade items now! Surely if there are players who haven't finished ToAU content then we can assume there are also players who haven't cleared Abyssea with full +2 on all of their jobs, right?

    At least you're enjoying the community aspect of the game. I'll give you that much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few hours before the static time, Bebe said he couldn't do Assaults, and logged out. That's why I went to Dynamis. I don't know why he came back later.

    And he actually tried to squeeze them in last week with no success.

    Glad to hear that you were happy with your last Salvage. Maybe it was because I wasn't involved LOL. You know, my aura and all. Since after every Salvage we do, it's Q.Q time -_-

    I'm curious though as to what set up you guys chose: BLU, THF, WHM? WAR, BLU, THF? (Idk what jobs Tavera has).

    Also, in China they say:

    "The journey is the reward".

    You should know that XD

    Hope you enjoy your break. Will miss having you around! ^^

    P.S. I still need to finish ToAU for the Captain rank.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In response to the comments made by the previous Anonymous about leaders. He is correct. You learn a lot about managing time/events and handling impromptu moments. One of best feelings of a leader is the sense of accomplishment of a group effort that has succeeded. Before I quit FFXI, I ran a dynamis ls. No matter how much I tried to avoid it, drama will come out from people who disagree with your decisions. But looking back, it was very stressful yet fun. If you ever come back from your break, try being a leader some time. You'll surely meet a lot more people and have a totally different experience of fun.

    Regarding Empyrean weapons, although I do not have any experience other than reading about abyssea, they look to be Relic/Mythics but within reach of more casual players. When you boil it all down, everything you work on is still a grind. I think it is because mythics and relics have time between each run (3 days unless they changed) where other events are filled to seem like it is more enjoyable, rather than a straight grind. Food for thought, what if empyrean upgrade item farming required 3 day waits? Would it seem better since time allocated between each farm would be directed to other events?

    That said, it's good that you take a break and concentrate on your work. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admit lv 85 and 90 can benefit more ppl thus easier to get ppl to come and help(I even /shouted my lv 85 through)

    But when I did lv 80 it was nothing but drama fest, cuz whoever come and help got nothing(totally nothing, that was before +2 item drop update), and the process is boring as fk for most ppl.

    Ppl may not* want Einherjar items now, but from what I've seen Nyzul and Salvage items still pretty popular. Plus job selection is not as restricted.....



    For some reason ToAU content is way easier to stick a group together, and Abyssea not as much, idk why though. Maybe it was just me, or maybe it's just the nature of Abyssea.

    Doing Salvage just for alex is pretty inevitable that's correct. Until SE fix Salvage gears and more ppl want to do Salvage. Just like how lv 75 era ppl would run dyna to build a relic, and sometimes do sandy over and over again for currency, even though most of the LS members need items from Xarc. It happens, because alex drop rate is so low per run, that's the only way to finish 30k alex(or relic weapon at 75). Otherwise it's literally impossible to finish Mythic even with 300M gil.

    @Zeig
    Setup was BLU MNK THF WHM, pretty typical, no one has any elite tier gear just average stuff, but I learned when to remind ppl to s/i(although still aggroed once and wasted time) and what mob to skip while farming cells. Plus the job MNK just pwns.

    MNK=auto win lah!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.